Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Impropriety or Bird...?

I am really enjoying being back in the working world. So far I haven't had many problems adjusting to my duties, and for the most part, my days are without incident. However, every once in a while I run into some major language barriers, where I either misunderstand what's been said, or I just stand there in a cold sweat with a complete blank.

Occasionally there are quite humorous misunderstandings. Like yesterday when my co-worker, who was looking out the window in our office remarked, "Look at those two tits! They're so wee. They're dead tiny. Aw, they're lovely." To which my other two co-workers rushed to the window and heartily agreed.

After my initial shock at how innappropriate they were being, I managed to clarify what they were talking about. Apparently, they were gazing at two young blue tits, which are not anything sinister, but are simply a small type of bird native to this area. My co-workers then went on to explain how there were Blue tits, Green Tits, White Bellied Tits, and Marsh Tits. Despite my attempts to remain professional, I couldn't help but snicker throughout their explanation. After my co-workers earnestly tried to think of what else might be called tit ("Well, they had a thing called a dummy tit for babies to suck on..."), my snickering turned into belly-aching-tear-inducing-laughter, which lasted a good half an hour.

Perhaps I am not so much of an adult afterall...

Thankfully, my co-workers appreciate me for my American vernacular and ignorance. This morning I found in my inbox an e-mail from one co-worker labeled 'Check out this Tit!' leading to a picture a wikipedia article and a picture of a small bird.

1 comment:

neighboUr said...

hahahaha excellent!

I would love to see some tits ;)

I felt dirty writing that.